The work measurement process applicable to steelwork will measure the following elements:
- Blasting of work section as required.
- Cropping-out of old material from the defined work section.
- Preparation of the work section and making ready for welding.
- Fit-up and welding of the work section.
- Grinding and finishing of the work section.
- Inspection of the work section.
- Completion of NDT process typically MPI.
- Repairs once completed.
- Coating as per specification.
The units of measurement applicable to steelwork will be as follows:
- Material purchase including the date of order.
- Material delivery including the actual order delivery date.
- Material identification stipulating who identified the material, when & whether or not class approval/verification is required.
- Material preparation showing the process to be followed including durations for each activity.
- Welding includes the total length of welding required.
- Coating is included, reflecting completed m2.
- Daily progress summaries per work element
The work measurement methodology applicable to steelwork comprises the following steps:
- The final contract quantities, specifically including durations and costs, and associated details must be understood as the foundation for the work measurement process.
- Measurement of the physical work on projects will take place twice daily – around 08h00 to determine night shift production and around 18h00 to determine day shift production. Adjustments will be made for work measured but which is then not accepted by QC.
- A daily visit will be made to the fabrication workshop around 13h00 if necessary. Measurements will be logged on a spreadsheet dedicated to fabrication and properly referenced to the work area and/or grid plan and/or schedule reference. Adjustments will be made for work measured but which is then not accepted by QC.
- All measurements must be reconciled against project schedule at timenow and Variation Order Register and also reflect the following:
- Rate of production.
- Trouble-shooting issues.
- Resource forecast especially labour.
- Final QA documents.